I was just looking at the Serger ProFinish when I also came across this newer Singer serger machine. So with the features, details, and experience of the other model still fresh in my memory, I thought it would be the perfect time to study the Singer 14T968DC too. I would have a point of comparison to determine if this machine better and in which aspect. Here is what I found out in my Singer 14T968DC review.
Singer 14T968DC Review: General Specification
This machine is just slightly bigger in dimension (13.5 x 10.5 x 11.5 inches) than its ascendant model, the 14CG754. However, it is surprisingly a lot heavier, it weighs 23.6 pounds when packed. After a few more minutes of checking out the machine, I found out that it is due to the solid metal skeleton on the 14T968DC. This makes the machine heavier, steady and more durable too. The thread capacity on this model is one more than the older model.
Singer 14T968DC Review: Features
Several features are similar to the other singer serger but what stood out is the newly added function. The Singer 14T968DC is capable of the coverstitch function. Not all sergers have that. Mimicking a coverstitch with the use of traditional sewing machines and double needle attachment doesn’t produce similar result as a coverstitch machine would. Singer managed to add this feature to this serger model and was surprisingly able to achieve satisfactory results.
Retained Serger Features:
- ✓ Sewing speed of 1300 stitches per minute
- ✓ Free arm function
- ✓ Storage box for accessories
- ✓ Adjustable stitch length
- ✓ Differential feed. Adjustable feed intake to produce different hem results.
- ✓ Color-coded threading guide
- ✓ Attached handle and work are light.
- ✓ Easy to replace feet and extra high lift capability
Added Functions & Improvements Made:
- ✓ 5-4-3-2 s Thread capability. Increased thread capacity means increased stitch variety too.
- ✓ The coverstitch function can be narrowed or widened too.
- ✓ Self-adjusting tension system. Adapt to the fabric and type of stitch setting to automatically adjust to the adequate tension level.
Singer 14T968DC Review: Concern/s
Unfortunately though, even after the huge level up for adding the coverstitch function, the Singer 14T968DC is still losing points because of the same threading difficulties as the 14CG754. I said before that it might just take a little getting used to (yeah I’m good like that, always looking forward to a brighter day). Apparently, my initial assessment was incorrect. The arrangement of the upper needles and the loopers themselves is what makes threading the machine difficult. Aside from this though, the wobbling complains about the 14CG754 has been fixed on the 14T968DC by the durable metal internals.
Singer 14T968DC Review: Product Introduction
As always, if you have used/ owned the Serger 14T968DC, we’d love to hear what you have to share. Register/ login here to leave a comment or a user review.